Tuesday 22 January 2013

Yoshi 9.0

With the quilt top finished it was time to turn my attention to the back. Time to cut more pixels, albeit smaller ones - 5,25 cm² as opposed to the 7,25 cm² of the front.


I forgot  to take step by step pictures of the process, but once more I divided the layout into manageable quadrants (four of 7x8 pixels). After two more days of piecing I had this backing. My adhesive spray gave out on the last centimetres. Crazy. It was as good as new as I'd only used it to baste the Viking baby quilt before. Worth it, though. I can't (and don't want to) imagine basting a monster like this with pins.


Another two afternoons were dedicated to slowly quilting a grid of 30 straight lines in the ditch every two pixels. Sometimes less, sometimes more organised.


I chose invisible thread to blur with the fabric and hide any amiss quilting. Yoshi is my biggest quilt up to date, roughly 1,8 m x 2 m (~ 72'' x  80'') and I was slightly worried that I might not be able to control the quilt well enough or find enough space under my machine, but all worked out nicely.


Time too cut away the excess fabric and batting...


...and get an idea of what it looks like on a bed.


I also prepared my binding that evening and attached it, even began to stitch some of it down by hand whilst watching telly - can you guess what I watched from the picture?. I saved most of that for the next day, though.



... to be continued ...

Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. wow Im totally in love with your back egg,
    I have a question, did you the pattern on your own, or did you buy or find it anywhere online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The egg is awesome! I love how Yoshi turned out too! Really he's perfect, right down to the careful color shading. It's been fun following along with your progress and seeing how quickly this all came together from your initial idea to an actual quilt. I can't help but feel a little nostalgic. You're making me want to break out the super nintendo again! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you're a no-reply commenter I'll reply on the blog so please check back.